Manage the Moisture

by Don Holler

Good Ventilation and eliminating the source of moisture eradicates conditions where mold can prosper.  FEW phrases can strike as much fear into a homeowners heart as the words “You have a mold Problem.” Mold occurs everywhere in nature, but inside the home, it can damage any surface it grows on and cause breathing problems for people who live there.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says mold reactions range from mild stuffy noses and itchy eyes to severe fever,  shortness of breath and chronic lung ailments.

Studies also suggest a link between mold exposure to asthma and more severe diseases in young children and adults with compromised immune systems.
So what causes mold to take root in a house? In one word: MOISTURE.

Mold spores are everywhere, and when they land on a wet or damp surface, they begin to grow. Mold tends to grow in humid areas, such as bathrooms, below grade rooms, kitchens and garages. Mold can also grow in hidden places, such as between walls where water leakage has occurred and gone undetected.

The EPA says the key to mold control is moisture control and that mold cleanup and proper ventilation are critical. Even harmless looking, small amounts of mold in the corner of the shower can spread quickly.

People can handle minor problems themselves, using residential or commercial cleansers to remove the mold and aerosol’s or spray-bombs to eradicate mold spores the air. More severe infestations that affect drywall and wood, or have compromised the insulation or homes structure, will need to be handled by a professional.

Mold will never be anyone’s idea of a welcome house guest, but with preventative steps such as improved ventilation, proper air conditioners and dehumidifiers to monitor and control moisture, people can ensure they never again have to fear those three little words: “You have mold.”

Don Holler is Lead Certified, a LEED Auditor and Managing Partner of Mold-Medics of DELMARVA, LLC.

Comments are closed.